William A. Hough High School opened on August 25, 2010 to meet the needs of the growing population in northern Mecklenburg County. It is built on land on Bailey Road and it is a prototype for future high schools in the Charlotte-Mecklenburg School system. It consists of 99 classrooms along with a full array of athletic facilities. One of the unique features of our school is the fifteen rain gardens that dot the landscape. They filter run-off water through natural filters and then drain the water back into the creek which runs along the back of the property.
Hough High School is named after a former principal of North Mecklenburg High School; Mr. Hough served from September 1955 to July 1974 and was very much loved and respected by the people of this area.
Hough offers students a traditional North Carolina educational program. We offer Standard, Honors and Advanced Placement courses in each of the four core areas: English, Math, Science and Social Studies. In addition, we offer a variety of elective courses to enrich student's lives.
Take a look at some of the programs we offer:
- Apparel Development explores all of the ins and outs of clothing. It examines clothing design in the areas of preparation for clothing construction, basic clothing construction techniques, consumer decisions, textiles, historical perspectives and design and career opportunities. Students apply these construction and design skills to garments and home fashion.
- Hough DECA hosts the 2nd largest DECA club in North Carolina with 204 members this year. DECA is an international association of marketing students whose mission is to prepare members for careers in business and marketing. In the club's inaugural year, the Quiz Bowl team won 1st place in NC. In addition, Hough DECA members have earned many other awards for their outstanding performances at competitions.
- Hough High offers a solid array of classes that introduce students to the world of marketing. Hough offers the following marketing courses: Principles of Marketing, Travel and Tourism Marketing, Fashion Merchandise Marketing, International Marketing, Strategic Marketing, Sports & Entertainment Marketing I, Sports & Entertainment Marketing II. These CTE courses help spotlight the realm of marketing and how our world both operates and thrives in various business sectors.
- Our World Languages department currently offers courses of study in French and Spanish (levels I, II, III Honors, IV Honors, and V AP), as well as Spanish for native speakers. To prepare our students to be 21st century learners in a global society, our goal is to increase students' communicative abilities in the target language, while encouraging the exploration and understanding of other cultures.
- Hough offers an Occupational Course of Study for students with disabilities. Within the program, students go to various businesses in the community for training as an unpaid School-Work Associate and they earn credit hours toward their North Carolina State Diploma. The businesses provide students with an opportunity to experience and perform meaningful vocational practice skills in a realistic work situation.
- "Music is for life!" This is the motto of the Hough Orchestra program. Our program is designed to connect the old with the new. Orchestra members at Hough perform a varied repertoire of music, from Bach to rock and even to newly arranged and composed works by students and local composers. Hough's orchestra program has quickly established itself as a regional leader by hosting internationally acclaimed performers such as Mark Wood and the Sphinx Virtuosi. Orchestra members have also distinguished themselves by earning positions with many local and regional honors orchestras. It is easy to see the Hough Orchestra program's motto in action, just look at the orchestra members living it!