West Charlotte High School administration understands that the dress of students is a reflection of his or her individual preference, self-image and potential conduct.
Such preferences must be selected within the constraints of reasonable rules and standards that are consistent with the maintenance of an effective learning atmosphere. As such, what may be appropriate in leisure situations may not be appropriate in the school environment.
Our dress code is designed to promote a positive, safe and healthy environment with minimal distractions while maximizing school spirit and the potential for serious academic achievement. Our school recognizes that the parents/guardians are the primary persons responsible for seeing that their student is dressed properly for school.
If a student arrives at school and refuses to comply with the dress code, he/she will not be allowed to attend class. Students refusing to comply with the dress code standards are disruptive to the learning environment and potentially face In or out of school Suspension. Repeated verbal warnings will not be given to those who violate the dress code.
- No Spaghetti straps, off-the-shoulder tops, mesh tops, tube tops or halter tops are allowed.
- No see-through clothing. No undergarments are to be visible including bra straps and underwear.
- Shirts should adequately cover chest, sides, shoulders and back. This includes athletic jerseys and other sleeveless t-shirts.
- No midriffs should show; shirts must be longer than the waistline of skirts, shorts, or pants.
- Holes in shirts and chains are not allowed.
- All clothing brands and designs with any unauthorized group symbols, profanity, nudity, gestures
- or signs are prohibited.
Pants / Shorts / Skirts /Dresses
- Pants and shorts must fit and be worn at the waist. No garment that is worn under a pair of pants is to be exposed (i.e. underwear, athletic shorts, etc.).
- No chains allowed.
- Shorts, skirts and dresses must be mid-thigh length.
- No pajama pants are to be worn during the school day.
- All hats, beanies, do-rags, bandanas, skull caps or any other head-gear may not be worn in the building (the only head gear exemption is for religious ceremony attire).
- No shades are to be worn in the building.
- Gloves, full or fingerless, may not be worn inside the building.
- Pajamas, blankets and slippers are prohibited.