Rea Farms STEAM Academy is a K-8 school located in the Southwest Learning Community in Charlotte. Our school is a partial magnet consisting of 70% neighborhood students and 30% magnet students. Rea Farms will serve K-6 students during the 2020-2021 school year, grades K-7 the 2021-2022 school year, and grades K-8 the 2022-2023 school year.
At Rea Farms, STEAM will engage the whole child and foster high achievement in all areas by blending the arts and sciences. Students will be engaged in exploration of creativity and critical thinking within a collaborative environment. As with all CMS schools, Rea Farms will follow the NC State Standards while infusing STEAM components.
Students will be provided opportunities for field trips, guest speakers, extracurricular activities, and a wide variety of electives and special area classes. Staff receive STEM training and professional development to reinforce STEAM concepts in their instruction.The expected outcome for our school is to promote high growth for all students while exposing them to a well-rounded STEAM experience.
Rea Farms STEAM Academy provides a well-rounded, stimulating education that integrates Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math. The school offers an academically enriching and supportive climate, which allows all students in its community to thrive and succeed. We strive to give students a belief in themselves and their ability to succeed.
Rea Farms STEAM Academy will give students the desire to influence and initiate changes to create a brighter future for themselves and their communities. We will strive to support students in building the skills they need to meet the demands of life and to engage as productive citizens of the world. We will inspire students to maximize their potential in academics as well as all aspects of their lives. The school will be known as a best-practice model for K-8 magnet programs, offering academic excellence to all students and positively influencing the broader community.
- Growth. Teachers, staff, parents, and students focus on a growth mindset. Failure is celebrated as part of the learning process. We become smarter through our effort, and there are no limits to what can be achieved.
- Academic excellence. Teachers have high expectations of all students and are provided with the resources they need to provide an excellent education. All students set and achieve high academic goals.
- Love of learning. Teachers and staff aim to foster a life-long love for learning among all students, which will enable students to maximize their potential while enjoying the journey.
- Innovation. Teachers foster critical thinking, creativity, and collaborative problem solving in our students.
- Engagement. Teachers, parents, and students will partner to cultivate an engaging learning environment and our students’ desire to learn.
- Equity. Everyone's individual needs are understood, and each student gets what they need to succeed.
- Diversity. The diverse backgrounds and cultures at our school enrich each child's experience and equips our staff and students with the necessary skills and perspectives to thrive in a complex, multicultural, and changing world.
- Character. Providing a well-rounded education that includes a well-integrated character education program that helps students develop a strong moral compass.