A message from Principal Newman:
Since March 23, 2020, focused on providing remote supplemental learning opportunities. Last Friday, the State Board of Education defined Remote Learning as: learning that takes place outside of the traditional school setting using various media and formats, such as but not limited to: video conference, telephone conference, print material, online material, or learning management systems.
Critical factors for effective remote learning:
- is accessible by all students for which the learning is intended and is responsive to diverse learning groups;
- maintains consistent communication between instructional staff and students;
- addresses the curricular and instructional needs associated with appropriate standards;
- includes evidence of student learning; and,
- considers the whole child as well as the home learning environment.
Parkside is going strong and instruction continues. 4th quarter academic instruction begins new content on April 1.
I am closely monitoring your student's online learning time. This includes their time and work completion in google classroom, participation in Zoom lessons, and accessing resources from our Special Area teachers. Those students who are in our Exceptional Children's program are expected to participate in small group sessions with assigned service providers. Our TD and catalyst students are receiving time with our Talent Development Teacher. Pre-K students are expected to participate in their daily assignments and zoom lessons.
CMS Evaluation of Student Progress:
Grading for 4th quarter rests on all of us. Here are the current standards:
- Grades K-2: Students in grades K-2 will continue to receive meaningful feedback that reflects mastery of standards/content to promote student growth.
- Grades 3-5: Students in grades 3-11 will receive teacher feedback on student learning through informal grades that reflect mastery of standards/content. Informal grades include classwork items such as warm-ups, quizzes, virtual group work, in-class tasks, class participation, virtual notebook checks, etc.
While we cannot deny that these are unprecedented times, we also view this time as an opportunity to continue to emphasize the importance of family.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to email me:
Also, your child's teacher is your greatest resource for any online classroom questions, including questions about chrome book access.
You can access teacher emails on the left-hand menu under "Faculty & Staff".
Updated Online Learning Calendars for Grades K -5 are located on the left-hand menu under "Online Learning Calendars for Grades K-5". These will be updated every week for you convenience.
Stay Safe Parkside!
We miss you so much!