My name is Taylor Shirkey and I am a school psychologist at Olde Providence and Nations Ford Elementary schools. I have been in the Charlotte-Mecklenburg school system since 2013 and I can't imagine working anywhere else. I also serve on the executive board for the Metrolina Association of Psychologists in the Schools (MAPS), a local advocacy organization for school psychologists. I love my job because I am able to work so closely with parents, teachers, students and other professionals every day! As a school psychologist, I wear many hats and no two days are ever the same. Some of those hats include:
- Help with planning of academic and behavioral interventions
- Conduct psychoeducational evaluations to assist school teams in determining eligibility for special education services and section 504 accommodation plans.
- Consult with teachers to improve individualized instruction and address student needs at all levels of achievement
- Collect, decipher, and use data in creative ways to drive academic, social/emotional, and behavioral programming
- Work with administrators to promote positive school environments and practices that ensure the safety and success of all students
- Provide group and individual counseling for students
- Advocate for students and families and work to build stronger relationships between homes and schools
- Collaborate with community support services
For more information about me and my job as a psychologist, click here
Click here for my website!