Students are expected to arrive at school clean and neatly dressed. Choice of clothing rest primarily with parents and child, and should in no way interfere with learning. Parents are asked to see that their children are dressed properly for prevailing weather conditions.
However, in cases in which the health, safety, and disruption of the educational process results from a student’s clothing, the school administration reserves the right to require that a student obey the standards that contribute to a safe, orderly school.
As a result, a student shall not dress, or by appearance present himself or herself, in a manner which poses a threat to the health or safety of that student or other persons, in a manner which causes interference with schoolwork or which creates a threat to property or persons, or causes the disruption of a classroom or the operation of the overall education process of the school. Clothing should be clean and properly fitted.
The following examples include, but not limited to, items clothing which are prohibited at the discretion of the administration of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg School District:
- The wearing of clothing or accessories which are offensive and could cause the destruction of the operation of the school. Items such as t-shirts or hats may fall in this category if they contain indecent or suggestive language.
- No undergarments or other tight clothing shall be worn as outer garments. This includes, but is not limited to tank, tube or halter tops; spandex or leotard garments, mesh shirts or midriff tops which causes inappropriate exposure of the skin of the student. Safe, appropriate footwear must also be worn.
- Shorts that are excessively short or tight, such as but not limited to, physical education type shorts, spandex or leotard type shorts, cut-offs, etc. are not appropriate.
- Clothing which advocated negative advertisements.
- Footwear with attached wheels, “heelies” or FLIP FLOPS are prohibited.
Children should be appropriately dressed for school; the principal shall have final authority in determining what is appropriate.