CAMBRIDGE AT MILA WEBPAGE
The Northwest Learning Community Cambridge Primary Program Announcement
We are excited to announce our new Cambridge Program. We have found over the last five years that Cambridge is good teaching for all students. We want all of our elementary students to benefit from a rich foundation of inquiry, rigor, and an international education. This foundation will help all of our students reach for greatness within themselves and be able to attain that at their own level. From this point on there will be no applications at the Primary. All students at the elementary level will receive a Cambridge education. This will allow all students to prepare for the higher level course work at the middle and high school levels. Applications for Diploma Candidate seats will now take place as incoming 6th graders.
Will my student who is currently a Cambridge student need to reapply?
No, if they have applied and received a letter of acceptance into the program, maintain the honor code, and a C average then they will continue to middle school as a Cambridge Diploma Candidate. All current Cambridge Diploma Students in 4th and 5th grade will continue on as before, but there will not be any additional applications for these grades.
My Child is a Catalyst Cambridge Student, will they need to apply in 6th grade?
If they are not given Cambridge Diploma Status at the end of the year, which was the agreement with all Catalyst students, then yes, they will need to apply in 6th grade.
Will making the Cambridge Program whole school weaken the type of instruction that my child is currently receiving?
No, teachers will meet the students where they are and use the curriculum and Cambridge philosophy of teaching to help all of students maximize their learning experience.
How will I know when to apply?
Your school Cambridge Coordinator will visit your 5th grade classrooms and send out information. Applications will be available to download online at https://sites.google.com/cms.k12.nc.us/cambridge/home
My child is a transfer student. How will this work?
Your child will receive the Cambridge International education while at his/her current school. At this time, we cannot transfer students for this program. If you receive a transfer to the middle school or the high school, you will need to show that at the time of application to the school coordinator. Upon receipt of this letter of transfer the coordinator will then process your application. We have no influence over Student Placement.
Cambridge Primary Programme Overview
· The Cambridge Primary Programme is an innovative and accelerated method of academic study offered solely through the University of Cambridge International Examinations (CIE).
· The world's largest provider of K-12 international education programs
· A global model for academic excellence through rigorous standards and high expectations
· An educational leader in 160 countries, with programs in over 9000 schools
· Part of England's renowned University of Cambridge
Cambridge Primary Programme (Grades 4 & 5):
· Promotes academic rigor in English, Math, and Science
· Provides a flexible curriculum framework that promotes creativity
· Emphasizes thinking skills as well as inquiry-based learning
· Measures student progress based on international benchmarks
· Presents a global focus while promoting cultural sensitivity
· Prepares students for Middle School and High School Cambridge programs
An Academic Experience
· Part of the University of Cambridge's Cambridge International Examinations, the Primary Programme provides an engaging, accelerated, academic experience for motivated learners. Students are challenged to work at the highest level of international standards in Mathematics, Science, and English.
· With a flexible curriculum framework, the Primary Programme encourages students to inquire and explore as they develop essential competencies. Students learn how to analyze and solve problems, leading to a deeper knowledge and understanding of local, national, and global issues.
· The Cambridge Primary Programme provides teachers with international benchmarks to evaluate student progress, determining areas of weakness and strength. Teachers use a broad range of strategies, such as inquiry-based learning, in order to create a classroom atmosphere that is both stimulating and enlightening.
Student Initiative & Creativity
· In all Cambridge Programmes, high expectations encourage outstanding performance. As students master the fundamentals in the core curriculum areas, they grow more confident and capable of exploring the arts and humanities. By emphasizing student initiative and creativity, Cambridge Programmes foster growth at all levels.
Heather M. Ayers, Cambridge School Coordinator