Stay up to date with all HSA news! Follow us online!
The Military, Global Leadership and Public Safety Academy develops young leaders who are knowledgeable about their contributions to the global community through building and main-training positive trusting relationships and service learning. In addition to JROTC, rising 9th grade students have an opportunity to pursue a pathway in Public Service. Students will have hands-on personalized instruction in the skills needed to succeed in law enforcement, firefighting and emergency service. All students start with an overview of public safety and then focus on their area of interest. The program is designed to build a public service foundation in high school and prepare students to advance their skills through a partnership with CPCC and UNC Charlotte.
Our program provides a foundation of academic rigor, fosters the acquisition of global concepts and nurtures young leaders who are knowledgeable about the contributions they can make to the global community through service learning. Our Military, Global Leadership and Public Safety Academy program focuses on conceptual understanding. The learning units are designed to develop essential skills (communicate effectively, think critically and problem-solve creatively) andprovide opportunities for meaningful action, social service, and global awareness. This school is not a boot camp, nor is it the school that parents send students to when they are making poor behavior choices in their home school setting. Instead, The Military, Global Leadership and Public Safety Academy at Hawthorne is designed to develop students’ problem solving, leadership, creative and critical thinking skills in a structured, military-themed preparatory school atmosphere. Our graduates will obtain a strong foundation in global affairs, engage in problem-solving across boundaries, evaluate information from a comparative perspective, and communicate effectively to defend complex views before a variety of global audiences.
Congratulations to our 2020-2021 Teacher of the Year.
Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps (JROTC) Program
JROTC is a Character Education Course
No Military Service obligations--NOT a recruiting program for the military
JROTC Cadets receive credit in course sequence
All uniforms and materials are provided free
.5 Quality Point available with Honors 3 and 4 Classes
Over 98% of all JROTC seniors graduated on time (2008-2016)
Special Opportunities For Students
- Additional scholarship opportunities--JROTC Cadets received an average of over $9 million over the last 6 years
- Extensive extra-curricular activities and teams (Drill, Marksmanship, Academic Bowl, Global Book Study, Adventure Training, Orienteering Teams and Summer Camps)
- Honor Rated Unit Cadets may compete for National Service Academies without going through the congressional appointment process
- Participation in multiple community service projects (average of 50 hours per project)
Commonly Asked Questions
- Is there a required military service obligation? NO
- Does JROTC receive academic elective credit? YES
- Is the curriculum military oriented? NO (It is a character and leadership development program.)
- Will students have to purchase a uniform or other materials? NO (They are free.)
- Do cadets have to wear a uniform? YES
For additional information about this program, please visit our Hawthorne JROTC Page (Opens In New Window) .
HAWK PRIDE DAYS--TAKE NOTE!!!
JROTC (Junior Reserve Officers' Training Corps) Uniform Day, Public Safety & Scrub Day
PT (Physical Training) T-Shirt Day & College Day
School Spirit Day