Arrival and Departure Procedures Procesos de Llegada y Salida
Dear Collinswood Families:
Welcome back! I am looking forward to a great 2019-2020 school year, building on our successes from last year and implementing improvements in areas where we need to grow. One improvement regards our dismissal procedure. Over the past year, our stakeholders (school administrators, parents, CMS risk managers, and community partners) have discussed alternatives to the carpool route to alleviate the congestion on Scaleybark Road from our carpool. As a result of those conversations, our dismissal procedure for the 2019-2020 school year is as follows:
- Dismissal Time: Students are dismissed at 4:10. If you are in a carpool line in advance of dismissal, do not block driveways or intersections. If you are able to pick up your children a little later (4:20), the carpool will be moving and your wait will be shorter. Note that during the first few weeks of school, as parents and students get acclimated to the procedure, expect that dismissal will take longer.
- Walkers (residents of the neighborhood): Students who live in the neighborhood (only) are permitted to walk home. If your child does not live in the neighborhood, you may not park in the neighborhood to pick the child up. If a family member/responsible adult is picking up the student(s), our walker pickup area has been moved to the entrance of the campus. (See the orange box on the map on the reverse side of this letter for the exact location.) Please use sidewalks and crosswalks and refrain from phone use while escorting your child(ren) off campus.
- Car Rider Pickup
- Yellow Student Paper: Please complete the yellow carpool paper with the name(s) of your child(ren) and grade, writing legibly in black marker and in ALLCAPS. Place the carpool paper on your dashboard on the driver’s side.
- Distracted Driving: Please do not use a phone or have the radio loud when entering the carpool procedure.
Carpool Entrance: ***NEW this year*** ENTER CAR POOL off of CONWAY AVE (see map)
FOLLOW ALL TRAFFIC RULES
- Please do not block driveways or intersections. Make a LEFT onto Applegate Rd. onto the school campus and check in with the staff member announcing names at the campus entrance (the purple circle on the map on the reverse side). Pull up to close any gaps in the line before loading your children. Be careful when pulling away from the line and make space for cars in front of you also trying to leave.
- Carpool Exit: When leaving the campus, exiting cars on Applegate Rd. have a stop sign. You must stop at the stop sign and yield to walkers. Do not enter Applegate Road by driving southbound on Hartford or by driving west on Applegate. Please use only Conway Ave to Hartford Rd. (northbound) to enter the campus. (See map on reverse side.)
- Courteous Behavior: We understand that parents want to pick up children quickly and may be rushing to activities after school. As a school community, we also want students to be dismissed quickly and efficiently, but not at the risk of safety. Please model our school’s standards of being respectful, responsible, and safe: respecting other parents and school staff by being courteous, being responsible by following the procedures, and being safe by being alert and aware of walkers and other drivers and not being distracted.
Enjoy the rest of your summer and don’t forget to read! We are looking forward to a great school year.