STUDENT DRESS CODE
Prior to the global pandemic, CMA was a uniform school. When students returned in the fall of 2020, we made the decision to shift our focus from uniform compliance to compliance with the state (now district) mask mandate. Students have demonstrated responsibility and we have had minimal issues, no more than that on a typical school campus, related to student dress.
If a student’s dress is in violation of the CMS Dress code, he/she will be asked to change, and if needed provided clothes from the CMA clothing closet. Any time a student is asked to change clothes, the parent/guardian will be notified by a BST/LSS at check-in. The dress code can be found in the CMS Student Handbook. The administration makes the final decision on any questionable garment or attire.
When students receive borrowed items, they will change and leave their personal clothes in the clothing closet, or their personal items will be washed during the school day if needed. At the end of the day, the personal clothes will be exchanged, or if deemed appropriate, the student will be permitted to keep the items from the clothing closet. Decisions to keep these items or plans to address habitual clothing needs will be made by a school social worker.
Although CMA will follow the CMS dress code, there are a few exceptions of items that are not permitted at CMA:
Students CANNOT wear:
- Sweatshirts/jackets/coats with a hood;
- Inappropriate (i.e. profanity, drugs, gang-related, sexual, offensive symbols) writing, pictures, or logos on shirts (this includes undershirts) or socks;
- Mid-drifts, plunging neck-lines;
- Excessive Jewelry (i.e. Large medallions/pendants (cannot be larger than a quarter), large belt buckles, anything that could be considered a weapon (such as sharp edges)
- House shoes;
- Caps/hats, do-rags, bandanas, head gear of any kind;
- No gang related clothing or objects. These items will be confiscated.
- Backpacks are permitted, but will be searched and must remain in the check-in closet.
- Female students will be allowed a small to medium (no larger than 12 x 12) purse to hold necessary items. If books fit inside of the purse, it will be considered a backpack, and will remain in the check-in closet. Purses will be searched upon arrival.