CMS will continue to require and enforce the use of face coverings for all students and staff. Given the rapid spread of the Omicron variant, we encourage the use of medical-grade masks (e.g. surgical, KN95, etc.) if available. Please help us emphasize to students the importance of covering both nose and mouth at all times and maintaining social distance to the greatest degree possible.
The updated guidance changes how long and under what conditions staff and students need to be excluded from school because they have tested positive for or been exposed to COVID 19 (isolation and quarantine).
Symptoms of COVID 19 include fever or chills, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fatigue/tiredness, body aches, headaches, the new loss of taste or smell, sore throat, congestion (or runny nose), nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.
If your student is ill, please keep him/her at home. Absences may be reported through the AGMS homepage https://schools.cms.k12.nc.us/alexandergrahamMS/Pages/Default.aspx
If you are reporting a COVID 19 related absence, please provide the date of symptoms, date of test or exposure, etc. to help us determine when your student may return to school.
Positive Test (vaccinated or not vaccinated):
· Can return after 5 days if they did not develop symptoms.
· If the individual developed symptoms, the individual must stay out for at least 5 days, AND no fever for at least 24 hours with no medications, AND all other symptoms have improved.
· The positive person must continue to wear a mask for 5 days after returning to school or work.
SYMPTOMS with a negative test or alternative diagnosis:
· If the individual receives confirmation of an alternative diagnosis from a health care provider that would explain the COVID-19 like symptom(s), the person may return to school following normal policies, and all of the following are true, including:
· No fever for 24 hours (without the use of fever-reducing medicines)
· Symptoms are better
· The individual does not have a pending COVID test
· No one else in the household is being tested for COVID
CLOSE CONTACT: Both positive and exposed persons are wearing masks in classroom settings (regardless of vaccination status):
· If the person who tested positive and the close contacts were wearing masks appropriately in the classroom setting, the exposed persons (close contacts) do not need to quarantine.
CLOSE CONTACT: not up-to-date with current vaccine requirements for their age and at least one person, not masked
· Not up-to-date with vaccine requirements = eligible for vaccine but unvaccinated or not boosted after 6 months of full vaccination
· Complete 5 days of quarantine and then 5 days of strict mask use. Test after 5 days, if possible.
CLOSE CONTACT: fully vaccinated:
· If a close contact is fully vaccinated (including booster, if eligible) with no symptoms, the person does not need to quarantine.
· It is recommended that the person get tested 3-5 days after exposure.