Southwest Middle School is beginning its 15th year of operation. Our program occupies a state of the art building and campus originally designed to meet the CMS standard for education of over 1,400 middle school students. Program strengths include: 1) Honors Language Arts and Math classes, 2) A strong Performing Arts Department, 3) A brand new STEM program called Project Lead the Way, 4) An active PTSA, 5) An involved School Leadership Team and 6) Dynamic community partnerships.
Our enthusiastic student body is comprised of over 1,400 children in grades 6, 7 and 8. We are the second largest middle school in CMS. We have seized a wonderful opportunity to further solidify an intimate community atmosphere in which we continue to develop our school spirit, traditions, standards and relationships that define our identity as we maintain a growing pace that parallels our surrounding southwest Mecklenburg community.
Our mission is to provide a safe place for all students to grow academically, socially, and emotionally.
We envision ourselves to be a school of excellence that produces both critical thinkers and explorers of knowledge who will lead in tomorrow's global market.
- WE BELIEVE in the necessity of a safe and positive environment for student learning.
- WE BELIEVE in setting high expectations for student learning, promoting student self-esteem through achievement, and celebrating all students' successes.
- WE BELIEVE children must be instructed on their learning levels, according to their learning styles, and should be actively engaged in the learning process.
- WE BELIEVE students and adults must be respectful of themselves, of each other, and of our school.
- WE BELIEVE students must be held accountable for their choices regarding behavior, attitude, and quality work.
- WE BELIEVE in respect for ethnic, socioeconomic, and cultural diversity.
- WE BELIEVE all members of the Southwest Middle School Community (teachers, administrators, parents, volunteers, student)-must commit to work together if students are to achieve success.
- WE BELIEVE that we must always focus on curriculum, master teaching, and data-driven instruction.
- WE BELIEVE that students should love where they learn.