Southwest Middle School is in our sixth year of operation. Our program occupies a state of the art building and campus originally designed to meet the CMS standard for education of 1,200 middle school students. Program strengths include: 1) Honors Language Arts and Math classes, 2) A strong Performing Arts Department, 3) An exceptional AVID program, 4) An active PTSA, 5) An involved School Leadership Team and 5) Dynamic community partnerships.
Our enthusiastic student body is comprised of 1,345 children in grades 6, 7 and 8. We are the second largest middle school in CMS. We have seized a wonderful opportunity to further solidify an intimate community atmosphere in which we continue to develop our school spirit, traditions, standards and relationships that define our identity as we maintain a growing pace that parallels our surrounding southwest Mecklenburg community.
We promote a positive climate in which staff, students, teachers, parents and community collaborate to develop skills in teaching and learning.
- WE BELIEVE in the necessity of a safe and positive environment for student learning.
- WE BELIEVE in setting high expectations for student learning, promoting student self-esteem through achievement, and celebrating all students’ successes.
- WE BELIEVE children must be instructed on their learning levels, according to their learning styles, and should be actively engaged in the learning process.
- WE BELIEVE students and adults must be respectful of themselves, each other, and our school.
- WE BELIEVE students must be , and cultural diversity.
- WE BELIEVE all members of the Southwest Middle School Community- teachers, administrators, parents, volunteers, students-must commit to work together if students are to achieve success.
- WE BELIEVE we are developing the foundation for a great school community through our ideas, effort, actions, and example at Southwest Middle School.
2008 - 2009 Our school made adequate yearly progress (AYP). We met 37 of our 37 performance targets.
2009 & 2010 School of Progress, High Growth