River Gate Elementary was built to relieve overcrowding for Winget Park and Lake Wylie Elementary. We opened our doors to students and families in 2009 and is part of the Charlotte Mecklenburg School System. River Gate’s name, mascot, and school colors were chosen by parents and students of the school. River Gate’s name is derived from this area being referred to as the “Gateway to the River” and it also is synonymous with the River Gate shopping center. Our school feeds into neighboring Southwest Middle School and eventually our students will attend Olympic High School.
RIVER GATE FACTS:
- Approximately 820 students attend River Gate
- 12 years of average teaching experience on staff.
- 52% of our staff have an advanced degree or Masters degrees.
- 32% of our staff are National Board Certified.
- We have reached out to various non-profit organizations such as Pasta for Pennies, Loaves and Fishes, and donated food from our garden to Kings Kitchen.