Dress Code In accordance with the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools Rights and Responsibilities Handbook, the following dress code for students at Olympic Community of Schools has been established:
1. Students are required to wear shoes at all times for health and safety reasons.
2. Students are required to wear shirts at all times.
3. Abusive, suggestive or profane language, symbols of illegal drugs or alcohol, or any other words, symbols, or slogans that disrupt the learning environment may not be worn on clothing or as jewelry.
4. All clothing must be worn in an appropriate and tasteful manner.
5. Shorts and skirts must be fingertip length even if worn with, leggings, jeggings and tights. The faculty and administration will have the final say if clothing is deemed appropriate.
6. The following items will NOT be worn at school: • Tank tops, tops with spaghetti straps, halter tops and strapless tops • Bedroom shoes • Pajamas, blankets • Pants worn below the waist or showing clothing beneath the main outerwear • Shirts exposing the stomach, being excessively tight, see-through or low cut in the back. No cleavage can be exposed • No see through clothing• Jeans may not have holes above fingertip • Headwear: scarves, stocking caps, hoods, hats, towels, sunglasses, sweatbands and combs.
7. Bandanas (of any color) are not allowed on buses or on school grounds at any time. Neither bandanas nor doo-rags may be worn on campus at any time. Anything not listed, but deemed disruptive to the learning environment, will be addressed individually by the staff. Any items identified as gang related will be banned as noted in the Student Rights & Responsibilities Handbook.
8. Students who do not follow dress code: • Parents will be notified after each student warning • Students will be assigned ISS until student changes into the appropriate clothing • Students will be given two warnings before receiving OSS for insubordination. If a parent is unavailable to pick-up the student, the student will remain in ISS for remainder of day and the suspension will start the following day.
Cell Phone Policy
Cell Phones and other electronic devices should not be seen or heard in the hallways between the hours of 7:05 a.m. and 2:15 p.m. Cell phones and electronic devices may be used during lunch in the cafeteria and courtyard, but not during class changes. Teachers are allowed to grant permission for educational use and should be done on infrequent basis since all students have a district provided Chromebook.
1st Offense - Warning in the form of confiscation and returned at end of day (if no other violation occurs during the confiscation.)
2nd Offense- All cell phones and electronic devices will be held by administration for the equivalent of one full day.
3rd Offense - All cell phones and electronic devices will be held by administration pending a mutually agreeable pick up date not to exceed
1 week (7 days)