Frequently Asked Questions at Pinewood
What does the school day look like?
Our school day is 7:45am - 2:45pm. Breakfast is served free of charge in the cafeteria from 7:15am - 7:40am. Please arrive early if you would like to take advantage of the free breakfast program. We have over three hours of literacy instruction through the Balanced Literacy approach. We also have a heavy emphasis in problem solving and critical thinking through mathematics. Students participate in weekly specials including Music, Art, PE, and media.
What is the school calendar for 2016-2017?
School will start on Monday August 29, 2016! Please see the link below for the 2016-17 School Calendar.
How do I enroll my student?
You need the following forms (also available at the school):
2016-17 School Year Enrollment Packet - English | Spanish
Birth Certificate (no hospital, souvenir or Mother copies)
Three Proofs of Mecklenburg County Residency
Safe Schools Enrollment Declaration - English | Spanish (Required for students transferring into CMS)
Current Immunization records (Complete record required by 1st day of school entry)
Health Assessment (Required for new pre-k and kindergarten students by 1st day of school entry)
Fill out all the forms and bring them into Pinewood Elementary. Our summer hours are Monday - Thursday 8:00am to 4:00pm.
If you have any questions about enrollment, please contact the school at 980-343-5825 or visit the Student Placement webpage. Student placement can also be reached at: 980-343-5335 or firstname.lastname@example.org
How does transportation work?
We have car riders, van riders, bus riders and walkers.
Car Rider Procedures
· You may begin parking in line on our campus for pick up beginning at 2:15 pm. Please remain in your vehicle. If you arrive before 2:45 pm, please do not idle your automobile while waiting. School is dismissed at 2:45.
· While waiting to pick up your student, please remember that we are a smoke free and tobacco free campus. Please refrain from the use of tobacco products while on school grounds.
· Parents must remain in their vehicles. Please do not wait on the sidewalk in front of the school or in the school lobby. This causes confusion for students when exiting the building. Students will not be released to parents who are not in their vehicle.
· If you need to enter the school to see a teacher or for other matters, you should park and wait in the main office until after ALL children have been released.
· If your child is not picked up by 3:00 pm, you must come in to the school and sign your child out with the office staff.
Families will receive bus stop pick-up and drop-off times in the mail about a week before school starts.Make sure you review your bus stop location and time – some bus stops may have changed. Once families receive their student’s bus schedules, it is important to review the information with the child. We encourage parents to walk to and from the assigned bus stop. All Pre-K and Kindergarten students must have a parent at the bus stop.
Who do I call for ___?
CMS has created an easy page for all the frequently called departments in the district. Click the link below to get to the page:
Does Pinewood have an after school program?
Pinewood offers the ASEP after school program. The After School Enrichment Program provides a warm, caring environment beyond school hours where your children have the opportunity to play with school friends and get homework out of the way before the family sits down to dinner. ASEP offers exciting activities which stimulate children to be healthier and happier, including sports, art activities and computer exploration. After School Enrichment Programs operate in CMS schools, utilizing age-appropriate materials and equipment for students.
For more information including hours and costs of the program, contact the ASEP office at the link below: