Service to the Community is an integral part of an IB education. Information is linked below, including a list of organizations that accept volunteers.
Service in Action Information: Community Service Info Sheet Updated 5-26-17
Service in Action Reflection: Service Hours Log 1718 - use this document to log the service hours earned and to reflect upon how that service fit with the IB MYP program. Complete and submit for credit by the dates listed on the form.
Service in Action FAQs:
- 6th and 7th graders MAY NOT earn Community and Service hours during the school day unless the service is part of a unit of study. There are only a couple exceptions to this which include the Community Garden w/ Mrs. Thornburg and Recycling Crew with Mrs. Self. Others need approval from Gorman, Johnston or Barone.
- 6th and 7th graders MAY NOT earn Community and Service hours by paying for them in any way. Examples of this would be donating money, supplies, gift cards, etc.
- 6th and 7th graders MAY earn Community and Service hours by helping teachers BEFORE or AFTER school. An example of this would be the Brew Tang Clan with Mr. George.
- 6th and 7th graders MAY earn Community and Service hours by helping an 8th grader on their Community Project before or after school.
- 8th Graders MAY NOT get an "EXCUSED" absences from school to work on their projects. There may be certain circumstances which can be brought to Mrs. Barone for approval, but 99% of the time it is not allowed. Please always check with her first
- and, the big question...
" HOW CAN I EARN COMMUNITY & SERVICE (SERVICE IN ACTION) HOURS?"
Below is a list of ideas.. Also visit the Piedmont Service in Action Website to view the latest opportunities for community service. If you have a new community service idea, please contact Maranda Thornburg.
School-Related (See a Piedmont Representative to Get Involved)
- Cardboard Camp Out
- Coffee Shop
- Friendship Garden
- Service assignments from teacher
- Help 8th graders with their Community Project before or after school hours
- Help teachers before and after school hours- with prior arrangements
- Piedmont School Grounds Beautification Days
- Boy or Girl Scouts
- Churches or places of worship
- Neighborhood HOA activities
- Participating in walks for cures
Still not sure where to volunteer? Go to VolunteerMatch.org volunteer clearninghouse You can filter according to your availability and interests. Make sure to check the minimum age requirements.
With any hours that you complete outside of school, always remember to be RESPECTFUL, RESPONSIBLE and SAFE. Please remember to ask a teacher, Mrs. Gorman or Mrs. Johnston if you are unsure whether your service activity will qualify.
8th Grade IB Service In Action Community Project
Introduction to the IB Community Project.pptx