Updated Grading Policy
Parents and Students of Phillip O. Berry:
Recently, we have updated our grading policy to relfect timely and authentic grading so that students and their families have feedback and input from teachers regarding grades. The new policy, effective immediately, is below:
*All grades must be standards based (policy located in the school improvement plan)
Teachers will accept assignments until the end of the quarter regardless of the due date. Students’ grades will be based on the quality of the work. If an assignment is not complete by the due date, a zero will be entered in as a grade until a student completes the assignment and submits for a grade. Teachers must have a rubric for projects or assignments that are not short and clear in their expectations.
All assignments for all students must have a numerical grade unless set up as a completion which would have a checkmark.
Assignments Received Late:
- Assignments received up to five days after the due date will have 11-points deducted prior to being graded.
- Assignments received after day five will have 21-points deducted prior to being graded.
- January 11th is the last day to accept an assignment to be graded and entered in PowerSchool for the 2nd quarter.
- Informal assignments will make up 30% of the overall grade and formal assignments will make up 70% of the overall grade.
- There will be no grades assigned to students as a group grades. Students will earn individual grades based on their performance on the assignment.
- There are to be no grades given for participation only.
- Grades will not be punitive in nature.
- There is a minimum requirement of 4 formal grades and 8 informal grades per quarter for semester long classes. Grades must be entered in PowerSchool by the end of the week at a minimum.
- Grades must be entered in PowerSchool within 72 hours of the assignment’s due date. This means the due date must be included in the assignment name. Students MUST receive FEEDBACK for every graded assignment to support learning.
If you have any questions, please reach out to your teacher or one of the administrators.
- Clubs and Organizations at Berry Academy
- Beginning of Year Documents
- The following documents were mailed to students prior to the start of the school year.
2018-2019 Course Registration Materials
- General Information
- AP Course Information
- Online Course Options and CPCC
- AVID Information
NEW WEBSTE! Follow link.
How to Get Your Scores
- Score reports are mailed to the student's home each time they take the SAT and the ACT. If you have misplaced your score, you may do the following:
- SAT - go to collegeboard.org and login to your account
- ACT - check with your counselor for the score or Naviance. If you need to order a score report, you will need to call customer service and link your test to your account. Let the customer service representative know you misplaced your ACT I.D.
- Students may check Naviance for any updated scores. (These scores can only be batch uploaded if the student bubbled in the bubble sheet without any errors.)
Tutoring via Charlotte-Mecklenburg Libraries & Tutor.com
- Did you know Charlotte Mecklenburg Library offers free access to online tutors? That's right. With your library card, you can get free help from a live, online, qualified tutor - up to 10 free tutoring sessions each week! And you can use this service - which is powered by Tutor.com - from home, school and even the Library. Help is available for K-12 students, college students and adult learners - in both English and Spanish. Access Tutor.com's network of more than 3,100 professional academic and career tutors who are ready to help with just about any question you may have.
Class of 2019 Updates
- Senior ads in the yearbook can be purchased through November 9. *see attached
- Additional graduation updates to be released in December and April for mid-year and end-of-year ceremonies respectively.
- June 12 @ 8:30 AM | Bojangles Coliseum
- Prom announcements to be released 2nd Semester, prior to prom events.
2019 Summer & Fall Opportunities
School Counselors (click here for webpage)
|STAFF VACANCY (9th Grade)|
*Please contact school for available counselor.
|Ms. Shannon Clark ( Department Co-Chair), Room 211 (10-12, last names A-G)|
|Ms. Latisha Dixon-Tobias (Department Co-Chair), Room 212 (10-12, last names H-O)|
|Ms. Lynette Horton, Room 214 (10-12, last names P-Z)|
Ms. Deepal Patel, Room 205
Mr. Byrd, Room 210
|Communities in School Coordinator |
Ms. St. Vilus, Room 213
Testing Calendar 2018-2019
(all dates subject to change)
- TEST DATES | COMING SOON!
- For free SAT & ACT test prep. provided by CMS & Edgenuity...
- Go to the Phillip O. Berry website homepage
- Click “ACT/ SAT Test Prep” link under CMS Resources at bottom left of page
- Login is either cms+Student I.D. or 518+Student I.D.
- Password is Student I.D.
- Click on the desired virtual tutor course.
Additional free online SAT & AP prep offered through College Board and Kahn Academy. www.khanacademy.org