Park Road Montessori is a full magnet school which has entrance requirements and serves children from age 4 through Sixth grade. Students are taught by teachers who have received their Montessori certification or by teachers who are currently receiving Montessori training. These teachers guide young children in developing inner discipline, self responsibility, and a desire for learning.
How do you decide if Montessori is right for your family?
Montessori education should not be chosen just because parents are seeking an alternative to the traditional classroom. Parents should choose Montessori because they believe in this approach. It is important that the Montessori approach fits your child’s needs, as well as your family’s values, beliefs and expectations about how you want your child to experience education.
Some questions to consider when deciding if Montessori is right for your family:
- Am I as a parent ready to support a teacher and my child in a non-traditional approach to learning?
- Is my child an independent worker?
- Am I willing to be active in my child’s education?
- Is my child able to accept responsibility?
- Does my child follow directions?
- Is my child able to focus on tasks for a period of time and not be occupied with things going on around him/her?
- Do I encourage my child to make choices and to take responsibility at home?
- Do I support the emphasis on cooperation rather than competition?
- Do I support the Montessori belief in fostering children’s self-reliance, responsibility and independence?
- Is my approach to discipline based upon natural and logical consequences rather than “rewards and punishments?”
- Do I believe that my child would benefit from having the responsibility for choosing appropriate learning activities and materials?
- Do I support the Montessori classroom organization that includes multi-age groupings (typically three “grades” of students)?
- Am I prepared to learn more about Montessori principles at school and at home?
- Do I believe in using anecdotal notes and Montessori checklists, rather than traditional, graded report cards?
If you answered “no” to some of the questions, it is recommended that you carefully consider Montessori. If it is not a good fit for your family, then your child may experience confusion and unhappiness if home and school are incongruent.
If you answered “yes” to the majority of the questions, your child may be a good candidate for Montessori. Your beliefs are similar to the underlying principles of Montessori education and your child is likely to be well suited to a Montessori setting.
We all want what is best for our children. There are many educational choices available – take the time to carefully investigate the options and honestly reflect on what is important to you, and then decide which approach is best for you and your family.
Our beautiful school is located one block from Park Road Shopping Center (Park Road and Woodlawn Road) and across the street from St. Ann's Catholic School. From Park Road, turn onto Hillside and right onto Haven Drive. The school is located on your left.
See Map to Park Road Montessori School.
If you have questions about Park Road Montessori School, please do not hesitate to call us at (980) 343-5830.