Dear Future Northwest Parents:
Thanks so much for considering NWSA. As you know, Northwest is the secondary Arts Magnet that serves the entire district. Well known for our arts, we have also become a place of inspiring academic success. Our graduation rates, SAT scores and proficiency tests place us amongst the very top of CMS high schools. All students who attend NWSA must first pass an audition. Please see the Prospective Students (link opens in new window) page for more information.
Northwest Fact Sheet
- The only secondary magnet program in CMS offering a concentration in the Arts
- A rigorous academic program with proven results beyond the norms.
- Grades 6-12
- 984 students (541 HS, 443 Middle)
- Offerings: Music (Instrumental and Vocal), Piano, Dance, Theater, Costume Design and the Visual Arts
One of the most successful schools in the county!
- A National Magnet School of Excellence
- The highest graduation rate in CMS for a 4 year high school.
- NWSA offers many Advanced Placement courses. Our AP courses are offered in: English 11 & 12, Calculus, Statistics, Biology, Environmental Studies, U.S. and European History, Psychology, Computer Science, Human Geography, Studio Art, and Art History.
How are we different?
- Our students choose to be here, are more highly engaged, and want to stay.
- This works to improve both academic outcomes and graduate rates.
- Arts Education:
- Training in the arts, regardless of socio-economic status has been proven to:
- lead to higher GPAs and standardized test scores
- lower drop-out rates and increased graduate rates
- Students with four years of arts or music in high school average 100 points better on their SAT.
- These gains last throughout a student’s life and into their career.
Why it matters!
- Our students are trained with 21st century skills like creativity, problem solving, collaboration, critical thinking and communication.
- Our students are trained for the creative jobs they wish to hold post-college, while building vital skills transferrable to other occupations.
- Arts are an export industry that grew to $64 billion in 2010 and employs 3.35 million people nationally.