North Mecklenburg is located on Old Statesville Road in Huntersville, North Carolina and first opened its doors on September 4, 1951 with a mere nineteen faculty members.
1957 brought North Meck the first of many expansions to come with the addition of H-hall to meet the needs its growing student population. By the end of the 1950s, North Meck's student body had reached over 700. During the 1960s, North's curriculum expanded to include instruction in Art, Orchestra, Drama, Spanish, Child Care, Auto Mechanics and ROTC.
Desegregation began at North Meck during the 1965-1966 school year, nearly five years earlier than most other Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools. By 1969, North's faculty was integrated allowing North Meck to better handle many of the racial problems of this time period.
By the early 1970s, North's student population had reached 1100 students. Not much would change over the next decade or so. However, by the 2000-2001 school year, North Meck had grown into the largest school in the state with over 2700 students and offered more than 360 courses for students! The needs of the students were met by a staff of 225. To help alleviate many of the problems faced with such a large student body, the school added more buildings (for a total of ten) and over forty mobile classrooms. In the fall of 2001, Hopewell High School opened its doors to help alleviate the growing needs of a growing community in northern Mecklenburg county.
Currently North Meck has a total staff of over 300 people, including 214 teachers and seven administrators. Nearly one third of North's teachers have obtained a Master's degree or higher level of education. North consistently ranks among the top schools in the county, the state and the nation in academic and athletic achievements. Our motto is "Exceeding the Standards" and what North Meck strives to accomplish year in and out.
*Information and quotations gathered from "Golden Reflections, A History of North Mecklenburg High School 1951-2001" by Margaret Smith