Please report all absences to Deborah Payton. Please include your child's first and last name, teacher's name, the reason for the absence and copy the teacher. Email is preferred, but you may also send in a written note. Text messages are not acceptable.
School Hours: 9:15a.m. – 4:15 p.m.
Regular attendance and punctuality are important from the beginning of the school year until the last day. Frequent absences, early dismissals and tardies interfere with your child's progress toward learning the necessary basic skills.
North Carolina law requires that all children enrolled in school must attend regularly. Parents are legally responsible for the school attendance of their children. Missing school may indeed put a child "at risk" of not mastering grade level competencies. Children who have exceeded 10 days of unexcused absences are in violation of the law and, therefore; the school can take necessary legal action to ensure that all students attend school. Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools requires that parents will be sent a letter from the school after 3 unexcused absences, another letter after 6 unexcused absences, and a certified letter if the number of unexcused absences exceeds 10.
The following reasons are considered excuses for absences:
- Personal illness
- Medical appointments
- Death in family
- Religious holidays
- Approved Educational Leave (form must be submitted 5 days in advance)
- CMS Approved Religious holidays (form must be submitted 5 days in advance)
- Absence for Religious Obligation Form.pdf
- Court or Administrative proceedings
Please note that all absences are considered unexcused unless the parent provides a written explanation for the absence. The school may request formal documentation from medical professionals should absences become excessive.
- No written excuse or email
- Missing the bus
- Car trouble
- Inclement weather
- Students are considered tardy if they are not in their classrooms by 9:15a.m. (This includes students being carpooled.) If your student arrives at school after 9:15 am, you must park, walk your child to the office, and sign them in through the LobbyGuard system. He/she will be given a pink tardy pass to class.
- All tardies are "unexcused" unless the student had a doctor/dentist appointment that morning. By making sure your student arrives promptly for school, you are helping your child to develop a future work ethic that is also important in the work place. Teachers are required to keep a record of tardiness. Consistent tardiness will be referred to the school counselor and Administrative team. Students are not considered tardy if their bus is late.
- **Students who do not comply with attendance, tardy, and dismissal expectations could be in violation of their lottery placement and could be sent back to their home school.
- A student who needs to leave school early must be picked up NO LATER than 3:30 pm, as this disrupts classroom instruction at the end of the day, as well as interrupting the arrival of our buses. You must sign the child out through the LobbyGuard system (which will require a driver's license). If you are planning an early dismissal, it is helpful if you let the teacher know ahead of time, so that the student will be ready – especially, if they are possibly going to be with a different teacher or in a Special.
- A parent or someone listed on the Emergency Dismissal Form must come to the office and sign the child out.
- Please do not pick up your child without reporting to the office first.