We are required to keep accurate attendance information for each student daily. This includes absences, tardies and early dismissals. North Carolina mandates what is considered an excused or unexcused absence. If your child is absent, please send a note/email, NO texts allowed (can't identify individual(s) legally) to his teacher and/or our attendance specialist, Lydia Calo (email@example.com). Absences, tardies, and early dismissals may be excused for the following reasons:
1. Illness or Injury: When the absence results from illness or injury which prevents the student from being physically able to attend school.
2. Quarantine: When isolation of the student is ordered by the local health officer or by the State Board of Health.
3. Death in the Immediate Family: When the absence results from the death of a member of the immediate family of the student. For the purpose of this regulation, the immediate family of a student includes, but is not necessarily limited to, grandparents, parents, brothers, and sisters.
4. Medical or Dental Appointments: When the absence results from a medical or dental appointment of a student.
5. Court or Administrative Proceedings: When the absence results from the attendance of a student at the proceedings of a court or an administrative tribunal if the student is a party to the action or Guardianship under subpoena.
6. Religious Observance: When the student is absent due to a religious observance in accordance with local school board policy.
7. Educational Opportunity: When it is demonstrated that the purpose of the absence is to take advantage of a valid education opportunity, such as travel. Approval for such an absence must be granted prior to the absence. Form are in the main office at your request.
8. Absence related to deployment activities: A student whose parent or legal guardian is an active duty member of the uniformed services and has been called to duty for, is on leave from, or immediately returned from deployment to a combat zone or combat support posting for the purpose of visiting said parent or legal guardian.
9. Medically Fragile: Students who are medically fragile are frequently absent from school, and their absences are directly related to their severe or life threatening physical condition. Approval for such an absence must be granted prior to the absence by requesting a form "Treating Physician's Recommendation for Consideration of Hospital/Homebound Services or Partial School Day Placement". This form must be completed by your child's physician and return to the teacher. A required IEP meeting will be scheduled by the student's teacher for determination of approval.
- Metro School takes very seriously our responsibility to make sure each child is sent home on the correct transportation (car or bus) at the end of each day. On any day that you need to change your child's transportation, the office must have a note or email from the parent. Therefore, written parental permission assures us that we are sending your child home the way you have planned. Please keep these changes to a minimum. ** ALL PERSON WHO PICK-UP THE STUDENT(S) MUST HAVE A PHOTO I.D.**
- Early Dismissal Pick-up release time is no later than 2:30 pm at the main office. After 2:30 pm, Pick-up release time, is at the back of the school at 3:00 pm. You MUST notify the office of pick-up change for the back.
- If you need to make changes to the people who are approved to pick up your child on the Emergency Form, please do so in writing. You can stop by the office to make the change, send in a note, or send us an email.
Thank you in advance for your assistance in keeping our kids safe!