Mercanas Middle College High School (MMCHS) is an honors program offered by Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools that consists of grades 11-13. It gives students the chance to earn college credit during their junior and senior years as well as one additional year. Students can earn an Associates Degree or two years of transfer college credits.
MMCHS will open in the fall of 2017 and will be Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools' fourth Middle College program. MMCHS is a Cooperative Innovative High School located on the Merancas Campus of Central Piedmont Community College and is part of the Career and College Promise program. Enrollment is limited to 120 students this year. While all students will take their remaining high school classes at this campus, they are allowed to take their college classes at any of the Central Piedmont Community College campuses. Classrooms are equipped with the latest technology and students have access to all CPCC libraries and privileges of any other CPCC student.
All MMCHS courses are Honors or Advanced Placement level courses. Students enrolled at MMCHS will take courses required for high school graduation while taking college courses towards a post-secondary certificate, college diploma, associates degree, and/or industry certification. MMCHS students are required to enroll in a minimum of four courses per semester including high school and college courses. All CPCC college courses and books are free of charge to MMCHS students.
Students must meet the following requirements in order to be eligible for admission:
- Current CMS student or eligible to attend a Charlotte-Mecklenburg School.
- Completed and passed Common Core Math I, Common Core Math IIand/or Geometry, Biology I, World History, Civics and Economics, and Health/PE
- Have a minimum cumulative unweighted GPA of 2.5
- Pass the CPCC Placement test or meet the requirements with other approved assessments (ACT, PLAN, PSAT, SAT)
- Completed a minimum of one year of foreign language with a preference of two years of the same foreign language