Eastover Elementary School, an Honor School of Excellence, is located in Charlotte, North Carolina, in the heart of the Eastover neighborhood. The school serves the neighborhoods of Cherry, Cotswold, Eastover, Elizabeth, Siegle Avenue and a portion of Myers Park.
The school was built in 1935. Currently, we have approximately 440 students in grades pre-kindergarten through fifth. Our school hours are 8:15 am - 3:15 pm. Eastover is also the only CMS elementary school that teaches Braille to the visually impaired.
Students attending Eastover enter Alexander Graham Middle School followed by Myers Park High School. For the 2018-19 school year, rising 6th graders will attend Sedgefield Middle School and then Myers Park High School.
The Mission of Eastover Elementary School is to serve as a catalyst for student achievement and personal excellence through rigorous and relevant core content as we sculpt responsible citizens in a 21st century global learning environment.
· Uniform School: Eastover was the first elementary school in the Charlotte-Mecklenburg School (CMS) district to successfully implement a required uniform policy. Uniforms strengthen school unity and foster a sense of pride among Eastover students.
· Special Area Classes: In addition to the challenging and innovative instruction in the regular classroom, we also offer excellent services for the visually impaired. Each week, all students rotate between five special area classes which include Technology, Music, Art, Media and Physical Education. These classes work hand in hand with the regular classroom to enrich the academic curriculum.
· Cultural Arts, Exploratory Spanish, and STEM Enrichment: Students participate in many arts and experimental activities which enrich the teaching of science, social studies and other areas of the curriculum. They take numerous field trips throughout the year to enhance their classroom studies. All students in grades K-5 receive weekly Spanish instruction. In addition, students also have hands on experience with classroom pets and our Eastover garden. Our 1st and 2nd grades also benefit from weekly chess instruction.
· After School: Eastover has a tuition-based after school program for working parents. This is a program that is managed by the CMS ASEP department and located at Eastover. It is offered afterschool until 6:00 pm and has earned a five-star rating. In addition to ASEP, Eastover also offers many afterschool clubs including running, golf, soccer and chess.
· PTA: Eastover's PTA has one of the most active memberships in Mecklenburg County. It supports the school community by raising money each year to support school-wide initiatives including providing technology for the 21st century learner, staff development support, additional classroom materials, books for our libraries and novel studies, interactive whiteboards, cultivating community partners and organizing a variety of activities for prospective, new and current families.