East Mecklenburg High School Summer Reading List 2018
All links will open in a new window.
AP Lit and Comp (12th) Summer Reading Assignment
Click the link for the information about the summer reading assignment. (The link will open in a new window)APLit_SummerReading.pdf
The CODE for the AP Lit Google Classroom is: t87456
MYP/Honors English I & II Summer Reading
Please click on the floowing link for the Google Doc Assignment: MYP/Honors Eng i & II
English I & II - 10th Grade Summer
Please click the following link for the Google Doc Assignment: Eng I & II 10 Grade Summer Reading
English 3 Reading Assignment:
English 3 Summer Reading.pdf
AP Language Reading Assignment:
AP Language Summer Reading Assignment.docx.pdf
AP Psychology Summer Assignment 2018 (Click on the PDF copy of the Summer Reading Assignment for AL Pshchology -Kinser AP Summer Assignment- 2018.pdf and AP Psych unit_01.pdf)
You will find the summer reading assignment posted on the East Meck Website under the “Summer
Reading” link on the left-hand side, as well as on my class website: tinyurl.com/emhskinser.
Assignment #1- Textbook Reading
You will need to read the first chapter of your textbook, which can be found on the websites listed above. You
will have a test on Unit 1 (Psychology’s History and Approaches) on the second day of class.
Assignment #2- Quizlet
There are 725+ terms on the AP Psychology exam. In order help you learn these terms, I have made Quizlets.
You will need to complete the following tasks:
- Create an account on Quizlet
- Access the Quizlet (which I will give you access to on the 1st day of class)
- Take a test on Quizlet and score at least a 95%
- Once you have scored a 95% or higher, screenshot the results- that include your name- and upload to GOOGLE CLASSROOM.
**The Quizlet website will allow you to take the test multiple times until you are able to score high enough,
but it also has features where you can practice/play games to help you learn the material.
Assignment #3 - TED Videos
The second assignment will incorporate some technology. TED is a nonprofit organization devoted to
spreading ideas in short, powerful talks in 18 minutes or less. TED is an acronym for technology,
entertainment, and design. I have sifted through the psychology section of TED and found 12 “talks” that
could be of interest. Of these ten, you are to watch any SIX of your choosing. After listening to these lectures,
you will provide a one paragraph summary OF EACH LECTURE consisting of at least seven sentences. Feel free
to incorporate your opinion of the talk and discuss terms you were interested in, as well as terms you were
**To submit, create a Google Doc, titled “TED Video Assignment- Your Name” and share with me**
- Philip Zimbardo: The Psychology of Evil
- Martin Seligman: New Era of Positive Psychology
- Elizabeth Loftus: How Reliable Is Your Memory
- Susan Cain: Power of Introverts
- Keith Barry: Brain Magic
- Tony Robbins: Why We Do What We Do
- Angela Lee Duckworth: The Key To Success - Grit
- Amy Cuddy: Body Language Shapes Who You Are
- Dan Gilbert: Surprising Science of Happiness
- Pamela Meyer: How To Spot A Liar
- Ben Ambridge - 10 Myths About Psychology Debunked
- Shawn Achor: The Happy Secret To Better Work
- Jia Jiang: What I Learned from 100 Days of Rejection
- Kelly McGonigal: How to Make Stress Your Friend
DO NOT COME IN ON THE FIRST DAY AND SAY YOU COULD NOT FIND THE SUMMER ASSIGNMENT INFO!!!!!!
That will not absolve you of the work. If you have any questions or problems accessing the material you can
email during the summer at the following address: email@example.com
AP US History Summer Reading Assignment
You will need to complete a series of reading assignments prior to the start of the school year. Completing the readings will be vital because you will have a test on the 2nd day of class on the first unit. It will be very difficult to read this material, study and prepare for exam in just two days. You can certainly try, but it will likely not lead to success.
All of the readings are posted on the school website. On the homepage you will see a tab on the left hand side that says "Summer Reading". Click on that link and scroll down until you find the list of attachments for this course. Your readings are listed below:
- Textbook Readings-All these pages, including images, have been imported into a word document.
- Unit 1 Textbook Pages(roughly 30 pages)
- Unit 2 Textbook Pages(roughly 65 pages)
- APUSH Unit 1 Articles Reading Guides-This contains reading guides and the links to three articles that you need to read for the unit test. The constructed response questions for the unit test are based solely on the articles and make up over a third of the test.
- APUSH Unit 1 Reading Guide and APUSH Unit 2 Reading Guide-These should be used when reading the textbook. They provide questions that go along with the textbook and are designed to help you get a fuller understanding of your readings and should be used on the reading quizzes.
Important Dates First Unit:
8/27-Reading Quiz for Unit 1-Posted on Google
8/29-Quizlet Assignment Due (See Below)
8/29(A Day)/8/30(B Day)-Unit 1 Test
8/31-Chapter 2 Reading Quiz
In order help you process and learn the massive amounts of new terminology in each unit I have created Quizlets that includes all the key terms and a separate one for the key people. You will need to take a test on Quizlet, including all the terms, score a 95% and then upload a print screen to Edmodo. I will make this available to you on the first day of class. The website will allow you to take the test multiple times until you are able to score high enough, but it also has features where you can practice/play games to help you learn the material.
I will distribute a textbook a review book on the first day of class and those will be the primary texts for this course. However, the review book is school property and cannot be written in. If you want the ability to mark, annotate or writing in the review book then I recommend you buy one for yourself. The information is below.
United States History: Preparing for the Advanced Placement Examination by AMSCO Publishing.
DO NOT COME IN ON THE FIRST DAY AND SAY YOU COULD NOT FIND THE SUMMER ASSIGNMENT INFO!!!!!! That will not absolve you of the work. If you have any questions or problems accessing the material you can email during the summer at the following address:
Michael1.firstname.lastname@example.org (All links will open in a new window)
AP US History Summer Reading Assignment.docx
APUSH Unit 1 Article Reading Guides.docx
APUSH Unit 1 Reading Guide.docx
APUSH Unit 2 Reading Guide.docx
Unit 1 Textbook Pages.docx
Unit 2 Textbook Pages.docx
Unit 1 Reading Quiz (click to link toll fill out the Google form)
World Language Reading Assignments:
Summer assignment for all
Spanish 4 students going to Spanish 5 "Las batallas en el desierto: by: Jose Emilio Pacheco. https://algundiaenalgunaparte.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/las-batallas-del-desierto-jose-e-pacheco.pdf
French students: All French 4 students : Le Petit Prince: (school provided) by Saint Exupery
HL students only: 35 Kilos d’Espoir ( School provided) by Anna Gavalda
German 4 students:
Kleider Machen Leute by Gottfried Keller (they already have their own books)
Chinese 4 Students
“风从哪里来” (School Provided)
All Spanish, German and French level 1-3 have a review class in Edgenuity.