East Mecklenburg High School Summer Reading List 2018
All links will open in a new window.
AP Psychology Summer Assignment 2018 (Click on the PDF copy of the Summer Reading Assignment for AL Pshchology -Kinser AP Summer Assignment- 2018.pdf and AP Psych unit_01.pdf)
You will find the summer reading assignment posted on the East Meck Website under the “Summer
Reading” link on the left-hand side, as well as on my class website: tinyurl.com/emhskinser.
Assignment #1- Textbook Reading
You will need to read the first chapter of your textbook, which can be found on the websites listed above. You
will have a test on Unit 1 (Psychology’s History and Approaches) on the second day of class.
Assignment #2- Quizlet
There are 725+ terms on the AP Psychology exam. In order help you learn these terms, I have made Quizlets.
You will need to complete the following tasks:
- Create an account on Quizlet
- Access the Quizlet (which I will give you access to on the 1st day of class)
- Take a test on Quizlet and score at least a 95%
- Once you have scored a 95% or higher, screenshot the results- that include your name- and upload to GOOGLE CLASSROOM.
**The Quizlet website will allow you to take the test multiple times until you are able to score high enough,
but it also has features where you can practice/play games to help you learn the material.
Assignment #3 - TED Videos
The second assignment will incorporate some technology. TED is a nonprofit organization devoted to
spreading ideas in short, powerful talks in 18 minutes or less. TED is an acronym for technology,
entertainment, and design. I have sifted through the psychology section of TED and found 12 “talks” that
could be of interest. Of these ten, you are to watch any SIX of your choosing. After listening to these lectures,
you will provide a one paragraph summary OF EACH LECTURE consisting of at least seven sentences. Feel free
to incorporate your opinion of the talk and discuss terms you were interested in, as well as terms you were
**To submit, create a Google Doc, titled “TED Video Assignment- Your Name” and share with me**
- Philip Zimbardo: The Psychology of Evil
- Martin Seligman: New Era of Positive Psychology
- Elizabeth Loftus: How Reliable Is Your Memory
- Susan Cain: Power of Introverts
- Keith Barry: Brain Magic
- Tony Robbins: Why We Do What We Do
- Angela Lee Duckworth: The Key To Success - Grit
- Amy Cuddy: Body Language Shapes Who You Are
- Dan Gilbert: Surprising Science of Happiness
- Pamela Meyer: How To Spot A Liar
- Ben Ambridge - 10 Myths About Psychology Debunked
- Shawn Achor: The Happy Secret To Better Work
- Jia Jiang: What I Learned from 100 Days of Rejection
- Kelly McGonigal: How to Make Stress Your Friend
DO NOT COME IN ON THE FIRST DAY AND SAY YOU COULD NOT FIND THE SUMMER ASSIGNMENT INFO!!!!!!
That will not absolve you of the work. If you have any questions or problems accessing the material you can
email during the summer at the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org
World Language Reading Assignments:
Summer assignment for all Spanish 4 students going to Spanish 5 "Las batallas en el desierto: by: Jose Emilio Pacheco. https://algundiaenalgunaparte.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/las-batallas-del-desierto-jose-e-pacheco.pdf
French students: All French 4 students : Le Petit Prince: (school provided) by Saint Exupery
HL students only: 35 Kilos d’Espoir ( School provided) by Anna Gavalda
German 4 students:
Kleider Machen Leute by Gottfried Keller (they already have their own books)
Chinese 4 Students
“风从哪里来” (School Provided)
All Spanish, German and French level 1-3 have a review class in Edgenuity.