Check our school video
A full Magnet Spanish Dual-Language Immersion Program is offered at Collinswood Language Academy for grades K-8. This two-way immersion program is one in which students from two different language backgrounds receive academic instruction in two "target" languages (English/Spanish). Collinswood provides a challenging academic program that fosters the acquisition of curricular concepts in both languages. Collinswood was the first Spanish Dual-Language program in the state of North Carolina, and now serves as a model school for developing dual-language programs in the Southeast United States.
Education Weekly Article: http://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2014/10/15/08dual.h34.html
Academic instruction is based on the North Carolina Standard Course of Study curriculum. Within our instructional day, certain percentages of the day are devoted to academic instruction in a specific language. In kindergarten students are immersed in Spanish for most of the day except for 30-45 minutes of English literacy instruction. In first through eighth grade, students are taught academics 50 percent of the day in Spanish and 50 percent of the day in English.
9:15 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. Students are permitted to enter the building at 8:45 a.m.
- Student learning is the chief priority for Collinswood.
- All students can learn when a variety of instructional approaches, special services and resources are used to support individual learning styles.
- Assessment through a variety of means allows students to demonstrate mastery of essential knowledge and skills and enables teachers to adjust instruction to meet the needs of students.
- Learning a second language leads to higher thinking skills and cultural appreciation..
- Continuous improvement through high expectations of staff and students increases school performance.
- Students need to be actively involved in solving problems, producing quality work, and applying their knowledge in new contexts.
- Diversity is valued and promoted at Collinswood as students bring their own cultural backgrounds and languages as well as unique gifts and needs.
- Exposure to diversity enhances the students’ acceptance of individual differences as well as their cultural appreciation.
- Teachers, administrators, parents, and the community share the responsibility for advancing the school’s mission.
- A student’s character is enhanced by positive relationships, use of etiquette and mutual respect among and between students and staff.
Educator Visit Days
Our buiding will be open for educator visits at 9:30 a.m. on the following dates. Please contact the office at 980-343-5820 if you are interested in visiting.
December 5, 2017
February 22, 2018
Are you interested in making Collinswood your school home? Do you have friends with rising kindergartners interested in Collinswood? Make sure you spread the word or make it to one of our four official Open Houses:
October 19, 2017 -- 6:00 p.m.
November 16, 2017 -- 10:00 a.m.
January 10, 2018 -- 10:00 a.m.
Do you want your child to attend a school where the school and the staff have been recognized internationally, nationally and locally for the quality of the school's academic program?
International Spanish Academy School of The Year
National Magnet School of Excellence
National Magnet School of Merit
Entrepreneurial Award Nominee
CMS Wellness Wins 2012 Challenge Champion
SIEMENS Renewable Energy Challenge Middle School Winner
Latin American Excelente Community Award
Time Warner Crystal Apple Award
N.C. Honor State Honors School of Excellence
VIF International Global School
VIF School of the Year
Goal Breaking United Way Contributor