REQUIREMENTS FOR SCHOOL ENTRY
Physical Exam/Health Assessments: In compliance with North Carolina law, all students entering Pre-kindergarten and Kindergarten must present a health assessment (physical exam report) by the first day of school entry. The assessment must have been completed within 12 months before the first day of school entry.
Immunizations: In compliance with North Carolina law, parents/guardian must present certification of immunizations on the first day of school entry. If documentation is not presented, parents and/or guardians have 30 calendar days to provide documentation or the student shall be excluded from school until proof is presented.
In addition to your pediatrician's office, immunizations can be obtained at the following locations:
Locations for Physicals for Children in Mecklenburg.pdf
Requirements for School Entry
4 DTP/DTaP/DT - 3 Polio - 3 HIB - 3 Hep B - 1 MMR - 1 Varicella
5 (4) DTP/DTaP/Dt/Td - 4 Polio - *3 HIB - 3 Hep B - 2 MMR - 1 Varicella
5 (4) DTP/DTaP/Dt/Td 4 Polio - *3 HIB - 3 Hep B - 2 MMR - 1 Varicella (if born on or after 4/1/2001) - 1 Tdap (new requirement for entering grade 6 since 2008)
(Note: *HIB is not required to enter school after the age of 5 yrs.)
1. DPT/DTaP/TD vaccine for children entering Kindergarten: Your child must have received one dose after the 4th birthday (4th or 5th) to be complaint.
2. DPT/DTaP/Dt/Td vaccine for students entering grades 1 through 12: Five doses are required. However, if your child received their 4th dose after the 4th birthday, further doses are not required. Students beginning the series after age 7 years only need 3 Td doses.
3. Polio vaccine for students entering grades kindergarten through 12: For children who received all IPV or all oral poliovirus (OPV) series: Four doses are required. However, if your child received the 3rd dose after the 4th birthday, further doses are not required. IF both OPV & IPV were administered as part of a series, a total of 4 doses should be given, regardless of the child's current age.
4. HIB (Haemophilus influenza type b vaccine) two or three doses, depending on the type of vaccine, AND a booster dose after 12 months of age. *Children who have reached their 5th birthday are NOT required to be vaccinated against Haemophilus influenza type b.
5. Hepatitis B - "Hep B" Three doses, required for all children born on or after 7-1-1994 (third dose must be given after 24 weeks of age).
6. MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) vaccine for all students: The first dose of MMR vaccine must have been received on or after the first birthday. 2nd dose is required, usually done with kindergarten boosters. (Note: a dose 4 days or less before the 1st birthday is also acceptable.)
7. Varicella (chickenpox) vaccine. Chickenpox disease is also acceptable. One dose required for all children born on or after 4-1-2001. The dose must be given on or after the 1st birthday (or no more than 4 days before the 1st birthday). The second dose of varicella vaccine should be given at age 4-6 years. If the child has had chicken pox disease, the vaccine is not required.
8. Tdap vaccine (Tetanus, Diptheria, Pertussis) required for all students entering 6th grade or proof of Td in the past 3 years is required.
More information on required and recommended immunizations can be found on :
www.immunizenc.org or www.immunizenc.com