Cato Middle College High School (CMCHS) is an honors program offered by Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools that consists of grades 11-13. It gives students the chance to earn college credit during their junior and senior years as well as one additional year. Students can earn an Associates Degree or two years of transfer college credits.
CMCHS opened in 2007 and was Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools' first Middle College program. CMCHS is a Cooperative Innovative High School located on the Cato Campus of Central Piedmont Community College and is part of the Career and College Promise program. Enrollment is limited to 100 students per grade level. While all students will take their remaining high school classes at this campus, they are allowed to take their college classes at any of the Central Piedmont Community College campuses. Classrooms are equipped with the latest technology and students have access to all CPCC libraries and privileges of any other CPCC student.
All CMCHS courses are Honors or Advanced Placement level courses. Students enrolled at CMCHS will take courses required for high school graduation while taking college courses towards a post-secondary certificate, college diploma, associates degree, and/or industry certification. CMCHS students are required to enroll in a minimum of four courses per semester including high school and college courses. All CPCC college courses and books are free of charge to CMCHS students.
Students must meet the following requirements in order to be eligible for admission:
- Be a current CMS student or be eligible to attend a Charlotte-Mecklenburg School.
- Be a rising 11th or 12th grader
- Earned a level III or higher on all EOCs
- Completed and passed Common Core Math I, Common Core Math IIand/or Geometry, Biology I, World History, Civics and Economics, and Health/PE
- Have a minimum cumulative unweighted GPA of 2.5
- Have a clean disciplinary record
- Have good attendance
- Pass the CPCC accuplacer test or meet the requirements with other approved assessments (ACT, PLAN, PSAT, SAT)
- Completed a minimum of one year of foreign language with a preference of two years of the same foreign language