Barringer Academic Center - Nationally Certified Magnet School is located near the intersection of West Blvd. and Clanton Rd. We are approximately 10 minutes from Uptown Charlotte. Access to Interstate 77 makes Barringer easily reachable within 2-3 minutes. We are ideally located near to Historic Dilworth and Wilmore.
Who is Barringer Academic Center Named After?
Barringer Academic Center (BAC) is named for Osmond L. Barringer, the very remarkable man who developed the Revolution Park neighborhood later to be named after him. The current Barringer Academic Center, residing off Walton Rd. and West Blvd. sits at the heart of the "Barringer Woods" Community. The current "partial-magnet" school is a relatively new replacement for the original school located at the end of Walton Rd.
A large part of the land for Revolution Park, once the largest public park in Charlotte, was donated by Osmond L. Barringer. This land donation also included the land upon which the former and new BAC schools were built. The land donation, later to become the Revolution Park neighborhood, began as three separate developments in the mid 1940s, one of which was named "Beech Nut Acres" being owned by Osmond L. Barringer.
The "original" BAC constructed in the 1950's, and replaced in 2003, saw a "second wind" so to speak as the home for the Horizons Program for several years until it relocated back to the new school in 2010. The original school building, having served as a school for over 50 years, was demolished in 2011. Both school building are situated on land that was formally family farm land donated by Mr. Barringer in the 1950's.
The current school also resides on top of a small former "gold mine" from the eighteenth century. Two large round stones used to pulvarize rock to extract gold ore are located in front of our main entrance. The original Barringer Academic Center, built in the 1950's, actually had one of the stones serve as the base for their school flag pole.
In the first half of the twentieth century, Osmond L. Barringer was one of Charlotte's most colorful promoters. Mr. Barringer was the first resident to own a car in the state and also the owner of the city's first automobile (a steam-powered Locomobile) in 1900. He was co-owner of the first Charlotte Speedway opened in 1924. He often acted as a driver for four presidents when they visited the area and was the first automobile dealer in Charlotte. On a side note, he is known as the first to take an X-ray photo as a student at Davidson College.