In order to be consistent and ensure that our staff receive any transportation changes in a timely manner, we will be implementing the following procedures for the 2018-19 school year:
-ALL transportation changes must be in writing. We will not except changes over the phone.
-In order to ensure that our staff has the opportunity to read and respond to any transportation changes, we will utilize emails as a written form. However, all emails must be received by the classroom teacher by 8:00 am on the day of the change. If the email is received after 8:00 am, the child will go home their normal method.
2018-19 Key CMS Transportation Information:
Rules for Assignment (NO student will be allowed to ride a CMS Bus unless the following has been completed)
- Student must be enrolled in the school they are attending
- Student must be registered in PowerSchool with a VALID address
- Student must be eligible for transportation.
Reminder…Preschool children bus stop guideline – approved parent/guardian must meet the child at the stop or child will be returned to school.
Frequently asked questions:
- Q. Can students new to the district (or my school) ride the bus without a bus assignment?
- A. No. Parents must wait until the child appears on a roster.
- Q. How will schools know when a child has been assigned to a stop and the effective date of the stop?
- A. Until Sept. 1, reference the key dates above for how information will be shared
- Q. What if parents want another stop, i.e. daycare or afterschool?
- A. Parents can request an alternate stop from the transportation webpage. Please do not have them call our offices! All requests need to be entered in the "Alternate Stop Request Form". (PARENTS TAKE THE RESPONSIBILITY TO DO THIS ON THEIR OWN-DAYCARES CANNOT COMPLETE THIS.)
- Q. How can parents inform transportation about an unsafe stop?
- A. Parents can request a review of their stop from the transportation webpage. Direct parents to the "Unsafe Stop Review" link on our webpage.
Directions for requesting Transportation, Unsafe Stop, or Alternate Request:
- Go to the CMS Website: http://www.cms.k12.nc.us/Pages/default.aspx
- Click on the Departments Link in the left hand corner at the top.
- Click T-Z
- Click on Transportation
- Click on one of the following links below and complete and submit the information
2018-2019 Student Transportation Information Form - Please complete this form to notify the CMS Transportation Department if your student is currently enrolled and you wish to request transportation or to notify us of a change to your child's AM or PM ride status for the 2018-2019 school year. Please note that if the request is already prefilled "Yes" for the service(s) needed, no request needs to be submitted an d you can click 'No Changes'.
2018-2019 Alternate Stop Request Form - Please complete this form to request a stop at a different location from what your child is currently assigned (e.g. request a stop at a daycare center, ASEP program or to return back to the neighborhood stop). Please note that transportation to alternate stops (e.g. daycare centers, etc.) do not automatically carry over from one school year to the next. These stops must be requested each year.
2018-2019 Unsafe Stop Request Form - Please complete this form to notify the Transportation Department if you believe your child's stop to be unsafe.
***This process could take 2-3 days for approval. On the third day, please contact the school to see where the request is in the process.
Car Line Information:
Important Car Rider Reminders!
If your child is picked up in the carpool lane during afternoon dismissal, please take a moment to review these very important procedures. As a driver, there are things you can be doing or be aware of that will help the line move faster and smoother. As a parent, you can also help prepare your child for a safe departure by building a better understanding of how the process works. For more detailed information, please refer to the yellow instruction sheet you received with your pink car-rider sign. Thank you for your assistance in making our carpool lane more efficient, safe, and convenient for everyone!
- Carpool Signs
- In order to use the carpool lane, you must have a current, school-issued, pink sign. You may request copies of the official sign for any number of vehicles and we will provide copies. Please contact the front office or your child's teacher ASAP.
- This sign should be clearly displayed from the moment you enter the carpool lane until after your child has been loaded in your vehicle. The staff will need to refer to your sign multiple times during the process. Please make sure it is visible in the front window and not lying flat or covered by the visor. (Many parents find it helpful to use a clothes hanger with clips to hang it from the rearview mirror.)
- As a safety measure, anyone who does NOT have a pink sign will need to park and walk to the front office to sign their student out. No exceptions will be made after that date, so please make sure you have secured a current sign before that point!
- If someone else is picking up your child, please make sure to provide them with the proper sign or instruct them to park and walk into the front office to show their ID and sign your child out.
- Driving Procedures
- When you reach the loading area of the carpool lane, please stay alert and refrain from using cellphones or other distractions. This is for the safety of students, staff, and other cars.
- As you pull into the loading zone, please be aware of the numbered spots #1-10 painted onto the road.
- Please pull down as far as possible before stopping. Be aware of what the car in front of you is doing. If you are the car in spot #1, it is essential that you pull all the way into the spot, all the way up to the crosswalk, so that the other cars can reach their spots behind you.
- Please do not stop between the numbered spots.
- Staff members will assist your student in finding your vehicle and loading in a timely manner.
- Absolutely NO walk-ups allowed for Kindergarten-5th grade parents!!!!
- Please do not walk up to staff members on the sidewalk or in the gym and request to pick up your student. This is a safety hazard as well as a disruption of the process, which requires the staff and students to listen carefully and pay close attention to the relay system!
- The only walk-up option is the "PARK and Walk" option involving sign-out in the front office.
- Dismissal from Classrooms
- Car-rider students will be dismissed from their classrooms via the loud speaker at 3:00 2017pm.
- Students should stay in the car-rider line in the hallway as staff members guide them to the gymnasium and into their specific grade level's line.
- Inside the Gymnasium
- Students should sit silently in their grade level's line.
- Please keep all personal belongings packed up and ready to go in a moment's notice.
- Students need to listen carefully to hear their name called over the walkie-talkie and speaker system.
- When they hear their name for the first time, they should exit through the gym doors and then take a spot in the line outside.
- Outside on the Sidewalk
- When the student arrives outside, he/she should stand on the designated line. Students should NOT move towards the cars yet!
Students must once again listen carefully.
- This time they will hear their name and a number.
- Students should then proceed to the numbered spot as instructed. Please remind them to wait by the number and NOT on the edge of the sidewalk until a staff member helps them into their vehicle safely
Q: What if I need to have my stop changed for some reason?
A: In order to change a bus stop or request a new one, you must go to the CMS website and complete the Alternate Stop, Unsafe Stop, or Change in Request form. These are then submitted electronically. The site is www.cms.k12.nc.us Look for the transportation link at the bottom of the site. Depending on the time of year, this could take several days to two weeks to be approved before they can actually be assigned to the bus and begin riding. Once you have submitted the change of information, please contact the school in about 3 days to verify if it has been approved.
Q: What if I need my child to ride to a daycare center that is being served via a CMS bus?
A: If you have registered your child at a daycare service that CMS provides transportation to, you will need to go online at the CMS website and request that stop in the section titled Alternate Stop. Your child's daycare service cannot do this for you. This only applies to daycare services that CMS provides bus transportation for, not daycare vans. Failure to request the daycare stop will mandate that the driver take your child to the assigned home stop. The sooner this is completed, the sooner your child will be able to ride the bus to that daycare.
Q: Can my child be left at the bus stop without an adult present to meet them?
A: Unless the child is 4 years old or younger and in the pre-k program, they will be dropped off at their assigned stop with or without an adult being present. Please allow 5-10 minutes on each side of the scheduled bus pick up and drop off times, especially at the beginning of the year.
Q: What if I need to change my transportation for a period of time, such as to a car rider?
A: A written note must be sent into the child's teacher explaining the change in transportation. This will be signed off by an administrator. We do not except changes for transportation over the phone.
Q: Can my child ride another bus home with a friend?
A: Based on CMS Transportation, if the child is not officially assigned to the bus, they may not ride home with a friend on another CMS bus. This is due to overcrowding and liability concerns.
Multiple Transportation Methods:
From time to time, you may request that your child be a bus rider on one day and possibly a car rider on another day. In order to ensure that your child gets on the appropriate mode of transportation and arrives home safely, it is extremely important that you communicate in writing with your child's teacher if an alternate mode of transportation is to be utilized beyond the regular method. Please keep in mind that teachers are not checking emails on a regular basis during the school day, as they are providing instruction to our students. Therefore, we ask that all changes involving transportation be sent to the teachers attention first thing in the morning. Additionally, if your child is assigned to ride one mode on specific days and another on specific days, please ensure that this is communicated to the teacher as well. For example, it is possible that your child may ride the bus home on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, but then be a car rider on Tuesday and Thursday. In cases such as this, it is the parent's responsibility to ensure that the student and the teacher know the specific schedule for afternoon dismissal. Providing the classroom teacher with a calendar or written documentation will ensure that the child goes home the correct way each day.