Attendance/Absences - Both excused and unexcused absences count towards 10 day limit
There is a direct correlation between regular attendance and school achievement; therefore, it is imperative that students are in class every day. The North Carolina Attendance Laws (GS-115C-378) expect every student to be in attendance each school day. There may be times that a student must be absent. In the event of an absence, the student must bring a note signed by a parent, guardian, or health care professional stating the reason for the absence(s), the date(s) of the absence(s) and any other pertinent information.
Students who are absent:
- Fill out the Ardrey Kell absence note (click here) and on the School Resources page. It must be signed by a parent or legal guardian stating the reason for the absence(s), the date(s) of the absence and any other documentation (doctor note/dentist note, etc.)
- Turn in the form to the Main Office when you return to school. All absences are considered unexcused until a form is presented. Forms and notes presented more than five (5) days after the student returns to school will be accepted but the absence will remain "unexcused".
It is the student's responsibility to contact individual teachers within five (5) school days for any work missed during the absence that must be made up. Make sure to reference each teacher's course syllabus for specific details regarding missed work.
Students arriving at school after 11:00 AM or departing from school prior to 11:00 AM will be considered absent for the entire school day and will not be permitted to participate in CMS sponsored activities on that day. A student who misses more than half of any class period will be considered absent from that class for that day.
When absent an extended period of time (5 or more days) due to a chronic or extended illness, or other unforeseen events, please notify your counselor, grade level administrator and our school nurse, before returning to school. Such illnesses/absences can and often do affect academic performance. Sharing this information as soon as possible will help to maintain a team approach in ensuring your child's academic success.
- Illness (with note from parent/guardian)
- Death in immediate family (provide obituary or death certificate - a hard copy or web address is acceptable)
- Doctor/Dental appointments (with proper documentation)
- Religious observances - holidays must be approved by the school district prior to the absence (click here for the religious observance approval form)
- Court proceedings (with proper documentation)
- Approved college visits; Juniors – Limit 1 and Seniors - Limit 2 (verification note from the college must be submitted with the absence note)
Examples of Unexcused Absences:
- Traffic/Car trouble
- Inclement weather
- Missing the bus
- Vacation/Family trips
Early Dismissal – Checking in/out of school
Students are not authorized to leave campus after arrival without strictly adhering to Ardrey Kell's checkout procedures. In order to leave campus during the school day, students must have an Early Release note (click here)and on the AK website on the School Resources page. It must be completely filled out and include a parent/guardian signature. The note must be brought into the Main Office prior to first block. There will be NO early dismissals after 1:30 PM.
For the protection of students, no phone calls or emails for early release/late arrival will be accepted.
Seniors: If you have Early Release in your schedule, you must leave campus after 3rd block and cannot linger at school. Students who fail to follow this policy will be subject to a schedule change.
Late Arrivals: If you arrive after 7:25 AM, you must have a Late Arrival note (click here) or locate it on the School Resources page. It must be completely filled out and include a parent/guardian signature.
Failure to sign out and leaving campus (skipping class) without permission will result in disciplinary action and parking privileges revoked. Please try to schedule early dismissal times for the end of class periods to eliminate classroom disruptions. Classroom teachers cannot grant permission for a student to leave campus. Only the Main Office personnel or an administrator can authorize this action.
Students are expected to be on time for all classes. All students, including drivers, who are late to school must have a Late Arrival form found on the AK website completely filled out with a parent/guardian signature. We will not accept phone calls or emails for any late students – NO EXCEPTIONS! If a student is late for 2nd, Knight Time, Homeroom, 3rd or 4th block class, he/she is to report immediately to the Main Office with their Late Arrival form. Students without forms will be sent to lockout. Parents will not be allowed to be called to come back and sign in their child. Grade level administrators will meet with those students with excessive absences/tardies to 1st block and contact parents to develop a plan for the student and to inform them of the consequences of the excessive absences.