Providence High School, located in suburban South Charlotte, currently serves more than 2,000 students. We have a rich tradition of excellence which began when the school opened in August 1989. In addition to the main building, the campus includes a technical building, a greenhouse, and a gym which houses a swimming pool. The grounds are comprised of a football stadium, baseball stadium, softball field, practice fields, tennis courts, and cross country trails.
Providence is ranked in the top 5% of all comprehensive high schools in the State of NC. Here are a few characteristics of our school:
- Our teacher turnover rate is low thus contributing to a well-established culture of high expectations and achievement. Fifty-three percent of our certified staff have a master’s degree or higher and sixty-eight percent of our teachers have over 10 years of teaching experience. Twenty-one percent of our staff have acquired National Board Certification.
- The academic program at Providence High School is among the best in the state. PHS is a National Blue Ribbon School, the highest recognition available to schools. Providence earned an A (95) on the new Accountability plan where the NC Dept. of Public Instruction grades each school. This was the high grade for any comprehensive high school in CMS and Mecklenburg County.
- Providence students have the highest average SAT score in the Charlotte region and our Advanced Placement course passage rate is the highest in CMS.
- With an emphasis on academics and college entrance preparation, Providence offers 26 different Advanced Placement courses. We have the highest Advanced Placement pass rate in CMS with 84% of students making a level 3, 4 or 5 on the College Board exams.
- A wide variety of elective course offerings are available at various levels of difficulty in the following areas: fine arts, debate, creative writing and publications, four different foreign languages, Navy Junior ROTC, and a wide variety of Career and Technical Education offerings.
There is a place for every student to find his/her niche in extracurricular opportunities at Providence. We provide a wide variety of athletic teams, fine and performing arts programs, as well as academic, social and service clubs and organizations. Newspaper, yearbook, and Literary Magazine opportunities exist not just for students enrolled in those classes, but for the general population to submit stories, photography, or news for publication. In addition, students can participate in the various drama productions, the spring musical or talent show.
Providence is a superior school with dedicated staff and students, as well as supportive parents and community partners. In collaboration with the tremendous support we receive from our parent community, students at Providence excel in school and are well-equipped for the challenges of college and the world of work. We set high expectations for our faculty and our students and strive to continue to improve each year so that our students are prepared to be competitive in the global economy they will face in the future.
Click here to check out the Providence High School Profile for the 2014 - 2015 Academic Year
Click here to view student life at Providence High School